POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Near-Future Aerospace Fighter (WIP 64KBU) : Re: Near-Future Aerospace Fighter (WIP 64KBU) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 00:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Near-Future Aerospace Fighter (WIP 64KBU)
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 1 Jul 2000 09:52:44
Message: <395DF6F0.7A54D243@attglobal.net>
Equiprawn wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Very cool stuff - you show great control of texturing.
>
> Can I offer some suggestions? True, I cannot predict the future, but as you
> are designing a near-future craft, some of this should probably still hold:
>
> Current day fighter planes usually have a a very small profile, especially
> if they are stelth fighters, so as to help avoid RADAR. At the moment your
> craft looks a little to bulky to avoid it successfully.
>
> Also, most modern day military craft, though streamlined to reduce air
> resistance, are not as smooth as your craft looks. Might I suggest adding
> some sharper edges on the thruster units,

Sharp edges have two benefits. 1 -  They deflect radar signals better.
2 -  They deflect supersonic shockwaves better.

Your craft seems to be lacking in both areas.

Also, the thrusters seem too big compared to the rest of the ship.  Look
at a Saturn 5 rocket of the space shuttle.  Fuel tanks are the biggest
part.

I'm sorry to have to resort to nitpicking on your aerospace engineering
skills as I can't possibly attempt to argue intelligently with you on
your modelling and texturing skills.

--
Francois Labreque | Rimmer: "Let's go to red alert!"
     flabreq      | Kryten: "Are you sure, Sir?  You realize it